Different Perspectives, New Opportunities, Win-Win Solutions
Jersey Water Works members drive the success of the collaborative, raising formidable issues and collaborating to identify innovative solutions. A United States Senator, a New Jersey Senator, two former New Jersey Governors, 168 participants, and multiple Jersey Water Works members made the sixth annual Membership Meeting a success.
The July 28 meeting highlighted the present pivotal moment for water infrastructure. Panelists explored how JWW can serve as a platform to foster new opportunities, connections, and win-win solutions to New Jersey’s toughest water challenges. New Jersey’s potential share of federal funds can propel the state’s water infrastructure into a resilient, innovative, and effective water future.
The agenda featured:
- A welcome from the new co-chairs Andy Kricun and Nicole Miller
- Messages from Honorary Chairs: Governor Whitman, Governor Florio, Mark Mauriello, and Jane Kenny.
- The launch of the New Jersey Water Risk and Equity map.
- Insights from different perspectives in the water sector. Speakers include:
- Lester Taylor (moderator) – Partner at Florio Perrucci Steinhardt Cappelli Tipton and Taylor, LLC; JWW Steering Committee Member; JWW Education and Outreach Committee Co-Chair
- Jose Amarante – Resident/community activist; Sewage-Free Streets and Rivers Advisory Board Member; Perth Amboy Stormwater Infrastructure Management Team
- Christine Ballard – Principal Engineer, Client Service Leader at CDM Smith; AEA NJ Director and in the Water Committee; JWW Education and Outreach Committee Co-Chair
- Ed Potosnak – Executive Director at New Jersey League of Conservation Voters; JWW Steering Committee Member
- Linda Greenstein, New Jersey Senator, 14th Legislative District
- Breakout sessions facilitated by committee leaders:
- Paying for Water Infrastructure
- Dan Kennedy, Utility & Transportation Contractors Association of NJ
- Dan Van Abs, Rutgers University
- Community Driven Infrastructure Decision Making
- Naeema Campbell, Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation
- Meishka Mitchell, Camden Community Partnership
- Water Map and the Power of Data
- Amy Goldsmith, Clean Water Action
- Pablo Herreros-Cantis, Urban Systems Lab
- Glenn Barnes, Water Finance Assistance
- Wynnie-Fred Victor Hinds, Newark Environmental Commission
- Combined Sewer Overflow and Stormwater Solutions
- Kareem Adeem, City of Newark
- Andy Kricun, Moonshot Missions